At the direction of the Senior Development Manager and the Deputy Director, Real Estate Development, manages programmatic, permitting, design, financial, market, legal, environmental, and construction aspects of development projects.
- Assesses options for the use and development of Massport property, including development program and financial analysis in consultation with Massport’s advisors and consultants.
- Prepares and manages responses to Requests for Qualifications (RFQs) and Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for third-party development of Massport real estate. Assists in the evaluation of proposals, including analysis of financial terms and return to the Authority.
- Works closely with Senior Development Manager, Deputy Director and Legal Department to prepare and execute ground leases.
- Maintains contacts and relationships with project developers and tenants throughout the development process.
- Works closely with developers to guide permit and environmental submissions to ensure consistency with Massport policies and projects, including overseeing internal review of documents by various Massport departments.
- Works closely with Massport Capital Program managers and developers to ensure that projects are planned and executed consistent with current best practices for sustainability and resilience to the impacts of climate change.
- Prepares written, graphic, and oral reports, memoranda, presentations, and briefs concerning Massport development projects. Makes presentations.
- Manages the assigned work of appraisal, financial, design and other consultants, as needed.
Works closely with selected developers, the Boston Planning and Development Authority, and state agencies on design, planning and permitting issues as they relate to development projects.
- Works closely with selected developers to review project design, transportation access, urban design features, and compatibility with Massport operating functions and other properties in the Massport portfolio.
- Coordinates the design review and permitting processes, keeps internal Massport stakeholders informed of issues, and makes recommendations to the Deputy Director and Chief Development Officer.
- Proactively anticipates and identifies issues and conflicts and ensures that developers are aware of Massport policies and procedures.
- Conducts property/facility field reviews to ensure that tenant operations and Property maintenance is in compliance with lease agreements.
- Develops license and other legal agreements as needed in coordination with Massport Legal, Maritime and other departments as appropriate.
- Manages the Tenant Alteration Applications (TAA) process, as appropriate, for tenant improvements and alterations in coordination with the Capital Programs Department.
Provides revenue projections and other analyses to assist RE&AM, A&F, Maritime and other departments in decision-making regarding real estate planning and completion of projects.
- Creates pro forma projections of project revenue, expenses and rental income to Massport.
- Works closely with and guides the work of consultants to develop financial analyses and appraisals.
- Creates multi-year revenue projections within established models to evaluate financial performance and inform decision-making.
- As directed, conducts research and makes recommendations in several potential areas including public realm initiatives, real estate market conditions, best practices for development projects, etc.
Works with the RE&AM Asset Management Unit to manage leases and licenses, including the following tasks:
- Identifying and acting on leasing opportunities;
- Negotiating business terms, drafting, and executing agreements;
- Establishing and maintaining good relationships with tenants;
- Managing Massport review and approval of permitting, design, and construction related to leases and licenses;
- Monitoring and communicating potential lease-related policy, political, and community issues; and
- Tracking rent payments and other lease performance.
SECONDARY JOB TASKS
- Establishes effective working relationships with Massport staff, customers, community and advocacy groups, sister agencies, and others as needed.
- Assists the Deputy Director and Senior Development Managers in responding to Audit Department requests, addressing any findings and recommendations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in planning, architecture, engineering, business or related field or equivalent professional experience required. Master's degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 3 years of experience in real estate development, finance or urban planning. Experience with real estate development, financial analysis, design review, and permitting review of complex, urban projects strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of real estate development process, including design, regulation and development economics.
- Proficiency with Excel spreadsheets and financial information sufficient to create multi-year spreadsheets.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, including but not limited to PowerPoint as well as other presentation/graphics software such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to read and understand design and construction drawings for buildings and site improvements.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills required.
- LEED accreditation desirable.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) or other professional certification desirable.
- Ability to pass Massport pre-placement physical, controlled substances testing, background and security check required.
WORK SCHEDULE: Ability to work a 37.5-hour workweek. Ability to meet fluctuating workload demands as necessary.
- Architecture / Design
- Financial Analysis
2+ to 5 years
Apply for this job