Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $350 billion, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed half a trillion dollars by 2025. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB’s important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
CPPIB Real Estate Investments (REI) has a global mandate to invest in commercial real estate through direct joint ventures with best-in-class operating partners. They are focused on building a diversified portfolio of high-quality properties that deliver stable and growing cash flows over the long term. With $40.8 billion of equity in investments of which $14.9 billion is invested in the US market, CPPIB REI’s team has built a significant portfolio with broad global (Americas, Europe and Asia) and sector (retail, office, industrial, multi- family and development) diversification. The principal strategy is to work with operating partners who have deep local expertise, to source new investments. REI also seeks programmatic and highly scalable relationships that can grow over time. As an active investor, joint ventures are the preferred investment structure as the structure affords stronger governance and provides greater transparency in their investments. Major developed markets within REI’s current portfolio include the US, UK, Canada, and Australia with investments in a broad spectrum of high-quality office, retail, industrial and multifamily properties. REI has also targeted China, Brazil and India as key emerging markets. REI’s equity team is comprised of three groups covering major property markets globally: REI Americas, REI Europe and REI Asia.
- Reporting to a Director in CPPIB’s New York City office, the Senior Associate plays a key role in the full life cycle of CPPIB’s real estate portfolio. The Senior Associate is accountable for assisting in the underwriting, research and analysis, and transaction execution of new investment opportunities as well as portfolio management activities for existing investments. Additional responsibilities include:
- Coordinating / undertaking financial underwriting and analysis, sector and market analysis, and sponsor evaluation, for new real estate investments (direct asset investments, joint ventures, and platforms).
- Making recommendations to the investment team, with ability to position ideas and articulate potential merits and risks.
- Assisting in preparation and presentation of investment recommendations; overseeing assembly of entire investment recommendation memorandum, independently writing important and complex sections, and actively contributing to investment committee meetings.
- Performing transaction management duties (where appropriate) such as overseeing external parties, including lawyers, advisers, and consultants. Ensuring timely completion of closing matters.
- Participating in portfolio management activities including monitoring and evaluating the investment portfolio performance, participating in third party meetings with co-owners/borrowers, investment managers and professional advisors; analyzing proposed budgets, capital plans and other investment recommendations and assisting in the buy/hold/sell analysis.
- Participating in the formation of new investment strategies and providing research function support.
- Assisting in overseeing and coordinating work of Associates and/or Analysts.
- Other relevant duties and projects as assigned.
- Five to eight years of work experience in investment banking and/or a real estate investment company on buy-side or sell-side (work experience at a pension advisor, opportunity fund/property fund manager, or real estate division of a pension fund a plus).
- Undergraduate business degree from a top-tier program
- Graduate degree and/or CFA a plus, though not required.
The Senior Associate should possess the following skills and characteristics:
- Collaborative with proven ability to perform effectively in a lean team environment.
- Demonstrated research, quantitative, financial modeling, and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, writing and communication skills; demonstrated relationship builder who develops lasting positive and value-adding relationships.
- Demonstrated work prioritization skills, organizational ability, and exceptional attention to detail.
- Intellectual curiosity and desire for personal development.
- Exceptional modeling, Excel, Word, PowerPoint skills, and Argus DCF (Enterprise a plus).
- Practical sector exposure to one or more of the following real estate sectors: office, industrial, multifamily, retail shopping centers, healthcare, and/or student housing.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
CPP Investment Board does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investment Board to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investment Board will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.
- Investment Management
- Alternative Investments